Saturday, April 29, 2006

#39 - America's Atomic Bomb Tests: Operation Hardtack

Every once and awhile, something comes along to shake the foundation upon which you stand. Something comes along that makes you question the activities that you once thought were a good idea. You wonder if you are wasting your time with things that were meant to be innocent and fun. I'm not talking about this DVD in these terms because the subject matter is so apalling and devestating. Instead, I am saying this because this DVD is so unbelievably BORING!!! I mean, it was a complete waste of time. It was so dreadful and hard to watch that I questioned the idea of watching just about every DVD that came down the pipe. We are talking about the very foundation of this whole little exercise/journey/thing that I am doing. I wanted to turn it off, I really did. I didnt even get that feeling watching Promised Land or For Keeps, and god knows, if any two movies deserved to be shut off, it was them. So what could be so dreadful to someone who actually recommends that people watch the movie Gigli so they can see what a monumental train wreck of a bad idea it was? What could be so dreadful to someone who actually watches pro wrestling as a guilty pleasure? I'll tel you what. This is a DVD with four 20ish minute films from the Air Force reporting results of atomic bomb tests to the Department of Defense. Are you still awake? Its done in that 50's educational film style that we saw in the FBI moments of A Street With No Name. It was cool at first, but that lasted all of three minutes. That left about 77 minutes of BORING science. I can't even begin to explain some of the crap they were going on about. Shock waves in different types of soil. Air pressure differences from different explosion heights. Shock waves in water explosions and all the scientific mumbo jumbo and explanations to go along with it. I mean COME ON!!! The only people who could possibly be interested by this are extreme military history buffs. But seriously, did these things really need to be put onto a DVD? Did they even need to be released to the public? I'd rather watch Falcon Crest on DVD. I'd rather watch new episodes of So NoTORIous. I'd rather watch Toby Keith being interviewed by Jay Leno. I'd rather watch I Love the 90's cause god knows we need to reminisce about the time waaaay back when the Spice Girls when doing their thing. I'd rather watch Saved By the Bell on Adult Swim.(credit for that one goes to Bubba: http://damommasboyz.com/columns/btrain/bt_06-05-01.html ) The worst part about the entire DVD? There was no sound on the last film. None whatsoever. You would think that that would make it better, like muting Brittney Spears videos. But NO. What was confusing to understand when they were trying to explain it to you was even worse when you had absolutely no clue what the hell was going on except for they blowing stuff up. Whats worse than that? The fact that this is one disc in a three DVD set. My patience will be strongly tested. I will be forced to remember the real reason for watching everything is to be pleasantly suprised by movies I wouldnt have otherwise chosen to watch. From now on, this type of endeavor will be known as Searching For Before Sunrise. If you don't get that, check the archives and read the review.

No comments: