Monday, April 17, 2006

#34 - The Exorcist

Mark up another movie on the "How have I never seen this before?" list. Seriously, this is more egregious than not having seen Raging Bull until recently. It just never happened. God knows I have seen enough clips and heard enough about it. Hell, I bought an original copy of the book by William Peter Blatty. Have I read it yet? No. It's on the shelf next to all the other books I have bought and not read yet. It's the curse of the B & N discount. ANYWAYS, this movie is a classic, and for very good reasons.

I actually watched the Director's Cut, otherwise known as "the version you've never seen". How very true. Having never seen the original movie, I am in no place to comment on the additions. I'm not completely sure that it makes a difference when all is said and done, but if any of you have seen both, let me know. There is one scene in the Director's Cut that I know wasn't in the original and it was pretty damn cool. Its when Linda Blairs character runs down the stairs bent over backwards and crawling like a spider. Its really quick, and is a pretty frightening image. I'm glad they put that one in.

So, if you dont already know, this movie is about a demon inhabiting the body of a young girl, and the exorcism that follows. The movie does an excellent job establishing the innocence of the girl which makes the possesion that much more difficult to see. What happens when she is fully possesed is some of the most graphic, brutal, frightening stuff I have ever seen, but it is completely honest to the story and the world that has been created. That honesty is what makes those moments so powerful. Throughout this movie are tremendous images that all lend to the mystery and ahunting nature of the film. I don't want to talk about many of them because I want to keep it a secret if you have waited as long as I have to watch this movie. One of my favorite images is when Max von Sydow is looking at the statue of the demon he has accidentally released. Can you say foreshadowing?

The performances are strong. The writing is strong. The directing is strong. Everybody was at the top of their game with this one. I could write for hours on all of the aspects of what makes this movie good. It is so absorbing, and just as soon as it gets you in, it gets you right between the eyes. Pay attention to the priest questioning his faith. Pay attention to the starkness of the sound design. Pay attention to the quiet uneasiness in the beginning of the movie and compare that with the violent madness that comes afterwards. This is truly good film making.

No comments: