Wednesday, April 12, 2006

#32 - Million Dollar Baby

I don't know how I was able to avoid hearing what this movie was really about. It sure didn't lack press coverage, what with being the best picture of the year and all. But like the Sixth Sense, I was somehow able to avoid hearing everything about the movie when I watched it, and that made such a tremendous difference. So I'm not going to say what happens in this movie. I want to save it if you have never seen this movie. As you may know, my rule on this review page is that I will give out spoilers, unless I think the movie warrants otherwise. I don't want to ruin something for someone if the movie deserves it. This movie deserves it, so I will talk around things.

First off, I found myself wondering why Hillary Swank won an Oscar for this role. She was good as a plucky little white trash girl who just wanted to box and had all the heart and spirit in the world. But I couldn't understand why she even got nominated. Then, what I will refer to as the "Oh shit!" moment occurred. Are you kidding me? I got it then. And yes, I am referring to what I talked about in the first paragraph. I refuse to say what happened. If it kills you not knowing, and that makes you go out and watch this movie, then I have done my job. You should.

What happens after the "Oh shit" moment is truly heart wrenching film making. But it's not sappy and over dramatic. It is played honestly and subtly, knowing that we have been engaged in the characters from the beginning, and that this relationship we have developed is all we need to understand and feel for the struggle in the movie. I feel as though I have said too much already, but I couldn't write this without mentioning how well Harry Callahan crafted this movie from beginning to end, with a little bit of why.

Technical discussion segment begins. . . . . . . . . . . . . . now. When you watch this movie, pay a little attention to the lighting. Its all natural lighting, but there is a distinct difference after "Oh shit". All of a sudden there is darkness everywhere except for a lone light source. The shadows, darkness, and stark nature of the lights amplify the tension. And for those of you that may ask, because you have asked, this is not a noir thing going on. Noir is way more stylized and has some fill light and back light. This is not stylized and is one single light. There, I have said my technical stuff with out getting too technical. Now go watch this movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this movie as well. The details were very hush hush, and it was the lack of info that got it into my dvd player.

I remember a few "oh shit" moments, most of them in amazement at the beginning with Swank's character's ability to box. After the "oh shit" moment you spoke of, I was completely enthralled until the end. I had pretty much guessed what was going to happen at the very end, but I hated to see it.

Good stuff.