Saturday, March 18, 2006

#19 - To Kill A Mockingbird

Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable. I remember at one point in high school I had to read the book this movie is adapted from. Which, if any of you know me and my studying habits, means that I didnt really read much of it. I remember enjoying what I did read, but since it was homework, not much got read. Anyways, I was looking forward to watching this movie because it's a classic. Won some Oscars. Probably some Golden Globes, but who cares. Maybe some New York Film Critics awards, but again, who cares unless you're a New York film critic. Needless to say, this movie did not let me down. I have never been so engaged in a movie so quickly and then had my attention held throughout. From beginning to end, I was completely connected.

If you have read any of my earlier reviews you would know that I am not the biggest fan of child actors. It would be better described as a dislike for bad overacting done by cute, annoying little kids. I say that I dont like child actors cause thats easier than the explanation I just gave. Having said all that, the two kids in this movie were very good. They talked like kids. They acted like kids. They played like kids. The got into trouble like kids. None of it was artificial. All of it was honest. I did find it interesting that Scout shares the same haircut as the Incredible Hulk. But thats not a complaint. Just an observation.

Lets not forget Gregory Peck, if that were even possible. His perfomance as Atticus Finch might just be perfect. The stoicism in the midst of controversy and troubled times is strong but not to the point where he doesnt relate to his children. He is so honest in trying to raise them the right way and tell them truth of the world around them, but also protect them from the same harsh realities. The balance of letting people be and not judging them at the same time not giving in when the fight for truth and honesty is not popularly accepted. Even the Scout is the main character, Atticus is the spine of the story. It is his values that we are drawn to and his strength that keeps those values important even when events challenge the foundation of them.

This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. If you have not seen it, what are you waiting for? It has such a strong, timeless message about how to be a better human being, but is in no way preachy or in your face. Subtle, understated, and unbelievably well done.

1 comment:

Lindsay Lamar said...

Hooray! I'm so happy that in this project you are pursuing that you get to see some really great movies too :) I love reading both the positive and negative reviews that you post! What's great, is I know you're just giving your honest opinion.