Saturday, March 04, 2006

#13 - Before Sunrise

In the Waking Life review, I said that a non-animated movie that was one philosophical and metaphysical discussion after another wouldn't work. I was partially wrong. Before Sunrise, also directed by Richard Linklater, has almost the same structure as Waking Life. But there is a difference, and I think its what makes the movie work.

While the structure of having a series of dialogues about various subjects is similar, this movie is not just metaphysics. Dont get me wrong, it is in there, but it is included in with a number of discussions about life, relationships, and personal stories. This gives a connection with the characters who have met on a train in France and have struck a quick relationship.

Like Waking Life, there is no real plot in this movie. There's just a simple thru-line that becomes a vehicle for a number of discussions about life, love, and the world around us. The difference between the two movies is the emotional connection between characters. This is essentially a love story, but a different love story. There's more depth and insight of the characters on a personal level than the usual love story and the only challenge standing in their way is the clock.

I'm not the biggest fan of love stories. Just not my cup of tea. But this one is different. Its not sappy or over the top with unrequited love or a love that was always meant to be but the world stands in the way of true love, blah, blah, blah. Sappy cheese. Sappy cheese. Its two people who meet on a train and end up sharing a bond over the next twelve or so hours. They are drawn together over these few hours, but there is always the looming realism of their eventual departure. Its uplifting and tragic, but more interesting to me, its unique. They never say that they love each other, but you see it and feel it so stronger than any other love story I have seen. Okay, I admit it, I havent seen that many. Maybe if more were like this, I would have.

2 comments:

Lindsay Lamar said...

I've wanted to see this, as I've heard from others that it's good as well. I heard that there is a sequel called After Sunset, I believe--did that show up in your queue?

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for these kinds of movies, moreso romantic comedies than romances, but I'll have to check it out.