Thursday, March 02, 2006

#10 - Promised Land

Here we have a touching and tragic drama from the late 80's starring a quartet of up and coming stars. You have Jason Gedric playing...get this...a cop!! I know, its a stretch, but it did happen. Then you have Tracy Pollan playing something other than the wife of Michael J. Fox. You have Meg Ryan playing...Meg Ryan. And in the surprise of the whole film, you have Keifer Sutherland playing someone shy and impish. This was a surprise because it was such contrast to the current Jack Bauer character he plays, but it is also the only compelling performance in the whole movie. Did I say touching and tragic? I meant pointless and mundane.

The movie starts near the end of high school for Jason - The Basketball Star, Tracy - His Sweetheart, and Keifer - The Imp Who Nobody Talks To. Then it jumps ahead about 3 years or so, I dont remember, and it doesnt really matter. Jason lost his scholarship and is now a cop and angry at the world. Poor widdle guy. Tracy is doing her own thing with some other guy in some other town. Keifer left town for some reason and ends up in a little hut near some abandoned mining area...I think. He has recently met Meg and he decided to marry her. Are you sufficiently bored yet?

What follows is a series of pointless dramatic moments. Jason aint happy cause he isnt a stud anymore. He still loves Tracy who still wants to be friends but has another guy. Keifer is coming back to see his parents after he marries Meg. Meg was drunk when they got married...blah, blah, blah, blah....

I guess there is a message about lost dreams and things not turning out the way they were supposed to be. But it is so boring and pointless. I dont care about Jason, I dont care about Tracy, I dont understand the point of Meg or why Keifer likes her. I did feel bad when Keifer got accidentally shot(!!!SPOILER!!! - hate to ruin the movie...I really do...), but more than anything else I was asking the point of his character or the point of any of it. Did I say anything about the bad writing, other than the mention of boring characters and pointless plotline? Did I mention the fact that it rolls along at a snails pace in order to make all the unneccessary things tedious to sit through? My kingdom for a movie about drag queens.

1 comment:

Lindsay Lamar said...

Man, reading your comments about this movie makes me grateful that I've never seen it!