Saturday, March 04, 2006

#14 - A Hole in the Head

Oh, this is what happy, warmhearted family friendly movies were like in the late 50's. Oh how far we have come and how little has changed. Some people ask why these silly little movies are made, and I always said that people go see them. Not my kind of movie, but if people like em, they'll keep makin em. It's not that its a bad movie, just not my kind of thing. Never has and never will be. I haven't seen many Sinatra movies and I just hope, nay, I KNOW they are better than this.

First of all, the guy really isnt a good parent. He's out all night carousing with some dame while his hotel is going bankrupt. But the little fellow still loves his Pop. Awwwww, gee that's swell. I just sat through the thing wondering why anybody would want an annoying little kid like that anyway. He really is a shining representation of that sassy little scamp you think of when you think of 50's entertainment children. Think of Beaver Cleaver with out being as much of a sissy and the "Gee Wally" meter is only at about 7.5, instead of exploding at 10. I'm not the biggest fan of young child actors in Hollywood, and this one really tries my patience.

Oh, but the kid isn't the worst part. No, no, no. I save that achievment for one of my FAVORITE things in all of moviedom. I am talking about the random, out of nowhere musical number. Don't get this confused with what happens all the time in musicals, they are musicals, its what they do. No, this happens in a non-musical movie FOR NO REASON AT ALL. Let me set it up for you. Father and son are having a heart to heart and to make things better, they break into song. They've got high hopes. That's right!! That's the song!! High Hopes and sung by a great performer and a stupid little kid who plays it up in the classic 50's Hollywood way that makes me wanna hang a lasso and pretend I can fly like R. Kelly. Seriously, just because you have someone in a movie who can sing, does not mean that they HAVE TO SING. And if they do, make it a solo. This annoying song won a freaking Oscar. I hear the Three 6 Mafia is planning a cover.

No comments: