Saturday, May 20, 2006

#49 - What About Your Friends: Weekend Getaway

What's wrong with me? Why do I waste my time with crap like this? I know that I say I wanna watch the bad things in order to make the good things better. And I know that I say I wanna watch what appears to be bad or things I'm not initially interested in because I may be suprised by what I find. But there comes a time when an individual has to realize that when they put a DVD into their DVD player that there is no chance in hell they will even come close to enjoying what they are about to watch. Especially when that DVD is a made for TV movie for the BET network. I don't know that there is anything on BET that I have ever really wanted to watch. The only thing that would even remotely interest me is Comic View, and those comedians suck. So, why would I want to take the time to watch a BET movie about three high school girls on a weekend getaway competing for college scholarships? Oh wait. I DON'T want to spend my time doing that, but dammit, I did it anyways. I'm not very pleased about it.

Let's see, where to begin? It stars Rudy. That's Cosby Rudy, not football Rudy. Last time I saw Rudy she was busy beating Pen & Teller and Greg Brady in Celebrity Fear Factor. I guess she was okay in this movie. Actually, everybody was okay. This may be a case where all of the performers were capable at what they were doing. If they were given something that wasn't completely generic in every way, I think that maybe a couple of them would have still been okay. Oh, by the way, Rudy needs to learn how to speak slang. Here's a hint: You don't enunciate the "Girl, no you didn't" types of phrases. It doesnt help that these phrases are placed in between dialogue of proper english. That's called bad writing. Most of the dialogue isn't in slang, but the writer threw in a phrases here and there. But the performers usually enunciated every word. It was kind of funny.

I'm done talking about that piece of crap. I could rant on it forever, but really, I just wanna forget about it. You'll all be happy to know that the crappy or obscure movies that have plagued most of what I have been reviewing lately is over. That doesn't mean that I've been watching only good movies. Far from it. But the crappy documentaries, the crappy bomb movies, and the crappy cop/mob movies are in the past, for now. I think everyone knows those things are not in short supply. But for some reason, this is the point where the random movie selection takes a drastic shift in another direction. It's actually a relief because this last stretch has been rough to watch. Anyways, I am now only nine movies away from being caught up with my viewing. Hopefully that means that I can be a little more specific with things, or I can rant that much better cause things will be fresh in my mind. We shall see. Tell your friends. Tell your friends friends, but not in a MySpace kind of way. Tell your enemies too.

1 comment:

Lindsay Lamar said...

Oh my gosh, Squeak's reviews is going to blow up huge, and I'll be able to say that I read it from the beginning :)