Tuesday, January 02, 2007

#94 - The Beastie Boys Video Anthology: Disc 1

Not only has it been a while since I wrote my last review, it's been a while since I watched this DVD. A busy work schedule and the holidays have proven to be a distraction, but not to worry, football season is almost over and that means more movie watching time. Of course I make no guaruntees since there is only about a month between the end of football and the start of March Madness, and then soon after the end of basketball and hockey is right around the corner. Basically what I am saying is that you are gonna have to deal with what I give you. I ain't gettin payed, and you ain't payin nothin, so you better be happy with what you got.

As far as this DVD goes, you had to know it was coming. You could be an imperceptive moron, and if that is the case, then every day is a suprise to you, isn't it? I will iterate again about how stupid blockbuster.com can be for sending the second disc first. And for those of you who are saying, "Why don't you use Netflix?", well, blockbuster.com was cheaper at the time. They have since corrected that, but I don't feel like changing. I also have an irrational tendency to reject the trendy stuff. For example, I don't have a myspace page. I know. It's crazy. Here's another thing, I don't want to own a Razor cell phone. I must be crazy because you see those things EVERYWHERE. Most importantly, it's a good that this page isn't really a b@#g, because that is the most annoying trend of all, if not the most annoying phrase in recent history, and I wouldn't want to be a part of that.

Am I rambling on or what? I must be avoiding something. Actually, it's more of a case of not having much to say that I didn't already say for the second disc, which was the first disc I got. Good videos, good music, all the same points about the camera angles and the remixes. Blah, Blah, Blah. Here's the real scoop. I also had to break this DVD into a couple of two and a half hour segments. I watched every remix and camera angle available. The problem is that these two disc came around a time when the finances were a bit tight. In other words, I was broke. So I stayed home and did nothing for a weekend. Unfortunately, this same weekend my Xbox was broken, and the cable and internet were not working properly....for the WHOLE WEEKEND!!!! Over the three evenings of the weekend, I watch the majority of these discs and I wanted to smash my brains in. There is something known as too much of a good thing, and this was it. Too many remixes in a short period of time is enough to turn your brain into shit.

In order to make actual comments about the DVD itself, I give you this short paragraph. The different camera angles for Intergalactic are some of the best in the entire set. The Beasties in space suits running around the train stations and streets of Japan is great to watch, especially because it's crowded and the people don't know what is going on. Side note on the angles, the angle changing feature wasn't working right on this disc and it made it harder to watch them. Add that on top of what I said earlier and the rage was compounded. While Body Movin is a good video, it was never my favorite Beasties song. I didn't think it really sounded like the Beatsies and was kind of disappointed. Turns out I am an idiot because the version that has been released is the Fatboy Slim remix. I finally heard the actual song. Still not my favorite, but more like their stuff, which is good. Side note on the video, the movie that the video is a spoof of is in my queue list. Lookin forward to that one. If you don't know what the movie is, too bad!!! And in closing, the last video on this disc happened to be So Watcha Want. Another one of my all time FAVORITES by these guys, so I went home happy, figuratively speaking.

2 comments:

Lindsay Lamar said...

Umm... I have three strikes against me: myspace, razor, and the B-word. I'm surprised that you still like me... or maybe it's all an act :)

squeak said...

Don't misunderstand. I am fine with other people having the trendy things. They can do whatever they want. I just have tendency to steer away from these things. And it's completely irrational and not based on the merits of the items in any way. It's just the way it is.