Friday, February 17, 2006

#3 - After Stonewall

This documentary represents the dangers involved in just clicking away and adding movies to your queue list without paying attention to what you are doing. Follow me on this one...according to the recommendations on Blockbuster.com, someone who wants to rent Alexander may be renting it because the character of Alexander has homosexual affairs with a guy who looks eerily similar to the guy playing Ra in the movie Stargate. Therefore, they may be interested in a documentary about the gay rights movement in America since the 1969 uprising at Stonewall Bar in New York's Greenwich Village. It's a stretch, but what the hell. It may not be high on my list of topics due to a bit of homophobia, but I said I would watch whatever comes up, and I will do it. Turns out it is a very well done documentary that discussed many things that I knew little about.

I'll be honest, I watched it a few months ago and the details are fuzzy. Remember, I am catching up from the start of my rental history to the start of this site(not a b**g!!). Basically, the film is a history of modern homosexuality in America. Different groups seeking rights, different groups looking to prevent them from having equal rights, and a number of historic moments such as the outbreak of AIDS and the struggle for adoption rights. Now, I wanna avoid getting TOO serious for TOO long cause that's just not how I do things, but for the most part this was a pretty objective film. There are a couple of times when the tone is one of "them against us", but for the most part is was told from an internal perspective of people just trying to live their lives like everyone else. I recommend it, especially if your To Wong Foo tape is worn out.

This is a good point to get into the DVD selection process. As I have said before, I have developed a system, but I did not have one at first. When I started my subscription I clicked on the first movie at the top of the home page. After clicking on that, the web site gives you recommendations based on your selection. These recomendations are questionable at times, but there are usually four options. From this point I decided that I would forever select the left recommendation and work my way through the system. If that was in my queue or I had already seen it, I would choose one of the others until I got to a point where all four recommendations were spoken for. Are you bored yet? Am I sufficiently anal retentive enough for you?Anyways, I did this willy nilly for some time until I found the top rentals list. From now on, I start my string of selections from that list beginning at the highest one I havent seen. This way I wont be reviewing just movies you have never heard of in your life. Also, I don't watch sequels first. If a sequel to a movie I havent seen comes up, the the first movie goes in first. Got it? There's more details, but I dont want to cempletely bore the piss out of you. I want you to actually come back and read this site again. Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!