Tuesday, February 06, 2007

#100 - Beastie Boys: Horseplay

TAADAA!!! Trumpets blaring!!! Horns...also blaring!!! It's a momentous occasion complete with sweeping changes. Okay, it's not that sweeping. A new template to change things up, and it's the shwanky new Google thang so I can add things on the sidebar without having to know HTML, which is good because HTML and me are not on a level playing field. And add things I did. I have lists of reviewed movies I really liked and strongly disliked. If you can't figure out which is which, you...are...a...moron. I have put all of the movies that fall into their respective categories in for now, but I will whittle it down over time so that I don't have a super long list there. In case you hadn't noticed, I aim for brevity. I was shocked to see that I recommended about a third of the movies I watched. Of course, the majority of them were movies that weren't good enough to fully recommend, or bad enough to totally hate, which is kind of sad. And since HTML is my mortal enemy, and since changing things over deleted some custom changes I had done for the old template, there is no sitemeter or subscription option at the bottom of the page. But do not fret!! I will somehow figure out how to get those back. I had help putting them there in the first place, I will require help to put them back. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the new arrangement. If you don't...tought shit. I'm not changing anything until review 200.

But let's get to review 100 since that's what you really came here for, isn't it? Oh, you're bored at work? I have no shame, I'll take it. Well, here's another DVD that is related to the Beatsie Boys. I say related because it's the unauthorized biography of the band. When it's unauthorized, that means there is either something in the biography that subject matter doesn't want you to know, or the subject matter had absolutely nothing to do with the production of the biography. This was the latter, and therefore, is pretty lame. Well, it's not really that lame, it's just not very worthwhile. First of all, this has the look and feel of a cheepie, direct to DVD production. Also, I think it's British. I have no evidence of this other than the fact that the narrator has a British accent. At least it was only an hour long.

Here's my real beef with the whole thing: while there was a lot of info about how the guys got together and developed their sound, they weren't involved at all, so it's was interviews with ex band members and childhood friends. Sorry, but I need more than what that can offer me. And the thing that really blows about it is that there are NO Beastie Boys songs. UGH!! Bleech! I understand that this was a low budget operation, but if you aren't going to have any of the tunes you are talking about, I'm not interested. What's funny is that there is a brief moment where we actually hear from Mike D himself. The only thought that came to me at that point was, "They ponied up to get a short clip from somebody else's interview, but they couldn't swing some freakin' tunes?" But by far, the most hilarious part of the whole thing is the interview with the old band memeber who got kicked out before they even called themselves by their current name. What's funny about it is when he is talking about being kicked out for drinking too much and all that crap, he is sitting in a bar and drinking a beer. I'll reapeat: While talking about being kicked out for too much drinking, HE WAS IN A BAR, DRINKING A BEER!!! At what point didn't you realize that your drinking issues caused you to miss out on millions. I hope for your sake that the producers paid for the tab cause you probably need all of the money they are giving you to do the interview. But I digress. Kind of a lackluster DVD for a milestone review, but what are you gonna do?

1 comment:

Lindsay Lamar said...

Congrats on number 100... not the most exciting movie, but what can you do? The new template looks good!