Monday, November 27, 2006

#90 - Bad Santa

It was actually the unrated directors cut packaged as Badder Santa. But I protest that name due to the fact that if there was to ever be a sequel to this movie, it should be titled Badder Santa. But they ruined it. Now they are stuck with Bad Santa 2. Snooze. And they can't use Even Badder Santa because that's what should be used to complete the trilogy. And while I'm on the subject, can we stop with the cute ways we title the unrated DVD releases? Seriously. Uncorked Edition? That's not even a play on words. It's not even witty. It's not even a freakin pun. Besides, I have come to the opinion that an "unrated directors cut" doesn't mean a goddamn thing. I'm sorry, but a different shot of a kid humping a pie is not the drastic change to the movie that the title implies. And it sure as hell doesn't warrant two versions to be released in stores. And speaking of two versions, if you are going to release Pan and Scan movies with the same cover as the Widescreen, PLEASE do a better job of distinguishing between the two so I don't have to go back to Target and try to return an opened copy of Batman Begins. Is that too much to ask? On another note, isn't Lauren Graham hot?

Seriously, huge crush on Lauren Graham. Partly because she's easy on the eyes, but she's funny too. From News Radio, to Celebrity Poker, and late night talk show appearances, I like her a lot. I've even watched bits and pieces of Gilmore Girl reruns, but I have to change the channel quickly before the fast paced, back and forth prattling between her and Becky give me an aneurysm. So, I got a picture of her showing a little tushy and some tongue, even if it is a foreign poster. I wasn't gonna get a Badder Santa photo. And here's the interesting thing about her in the movie, compared to the delightful lunacy that sums up everyone else's characters, she appears to be the only normal person in the whole thing. BUT, and that's a huge interjection, her kinky little fetish might make her the craziest one of all. I'm not gonna tell you what it is, but her "catchphrase" is one of the funniest, bestest, most unexpected things I have seen in a while. You wanna talk about coming out of nowhere. Fantastically amusing.

This whole movie was amusing. It's a dark comedy, which I like, and has a tiny bit of absurdity thrown in just to keep you guessing. I mean COME ON, that kid is one of the oddest creatures being passed off as a human being that I have ever seen on film. Was he written that way? Cause if he was, that kid pulled off a hell of a performance, cause he's just weird. And speaking of good performances, John Ritter was fantastic. It's a shame that he passed away during filming because I would have loved to have seen how he was meant to fit in to the rest of the movie.

I will admit that I wanted a little more from Billy Bob Thornton's character. As rude and crude as he is, I was expecting a little more rude, and a lot more crude. I guess it just didn't quite push the envelope for me enough, but I recognize that as personal preference and not neccessarily anything wrong with the movie. In all honesty, I think he was put on this earth to play this role. He was fantastic. The scene where he cusses out the mom and kid while he eats his lunch is making me laugh just thinking about it. The piece of lettuce that hangs off his mouth as he barks out at the two is such a fantastic and hilarious moment, that if I forget everything about this movie, I will always remember that part. Well, that and Lauren Graham's line.

No comments: