Wednesday, October 18, 2006

#83 - House of Flying Daggers

This review is historic. WHY? Well, this is the very first review that I am writing in the same day that I have watched the movie being reviewed. What a concept. And it only took 82 other times to make it happen. Sure, I could have done it before, but it seems like lately if I don't write something the day of viewing, it may take a week or so before I can get to it. So, here we have it. I make no guarantees that it will be any better, and don't get used to it either. Just thought it was worth mentioning since it's obviously rare.

I love all of these Asian historical epics. I find them fascinating, well written, well acted, and the cinematography is some of the most amazing work you will ever see. I am a sucker for historical epics in the first place. The fact that these movies are in a foreign language and about a history that I know next to nothing about is of little import. I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I loved Hero. I loved Kung Fu Hustle. Okay, that last one was a bad example, but it's still a fun movie. What I particularly enjoy about the Asian epics is that they take a moment in history and create a world that includes a little mythology, a little bit of fable, and a little bit of good ol' storytelling. The great thing with the movies I have seen is that they all seem to use these elements in different, yet amazingly effective ways in order to tell their stories. This movie is no less amazing, and go figure, it's from the director of Hero. I didn't know that until I got the picture for this review, but I can definitely see some similarities of visual aesthetics and style.

Here's the shocker with this movie: it's a romance. But this ain't yer daddy's romance. In fact, you don't even realize what it is until late in the picture when you have been sucked in by the story and extremely stylized combat scenes. By that time you are drawn in by the intensity of the situation that has been established. But it's not done by bait and hook. The only reason that it is so unexpected is because it's not what I expected to see from this genre. I was caught up in excellent fights, beautiful imagery, and what appeared to be a story about miltary vs. fugitives. As I have said before, I am not a big fan of romances. But when a movie portrays a romance in a unique way, I find it to be quite entertaining. This is the case with this movie. And another thing, I've barely talked about the beauty of the film and I sure as hell haven't said anything about the ending, both of which are quite notable, but I want you to see for yourself.

2 comments:

squeak said...

You didn't like them because you are a disgruntled Chinese dissident. I could have put money down on you feeling that way about those movies.

Anonymous said...

yeah, but K.F.H. did rock the casbah. It was freakin awesome, in the same way that Sean of the Dead was freakin awesome.