Monday, June 05, 2006

#61 - The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit

Time to come clean. I have seen this movie. Well, not really. At least I'm not sure. I know I have seen a lot of it, but it was a LONG time ago when the Disney channel actually showed old Disney movies. You know what I'm talking about, the days of Mouseterpiece Theatre and whatnot. So its been a few years. I don't know if I ever saw the whole thing or not and I sure as hell never knew the title. I believe this is on the cusp of qualifying for this dog and pony show I am doing here. I have made sure that I am only watching movies that I have never seen in their entirety and in one straight shot. This is a very good example of one that I have seen a lot of, but never seen the whole thing. At least I think thats the case. There are many movies out there that fall under this category. Some of them may shock the hell out of you, so I wont say the titles of them. But enough of this shite, we have a movie to talk about here.

This is just good clean fun here. Nothing too serious, nothing to over the top. It's true wholesome family goodness. The difference between this and what they make now is that this isnt stupid annoying crap. It may not be an intellectually chanllenging movie, but they didn't insult the intelligence of the audience by dumbing things down into a bunch of sight gags, stupid shtick and fart jokes. Don't get me wrong, a well placed fart joke can be hilarious, but those cases are few and far between. Its just a simple, little, entertaining movie about a father who buys a horse for his daughter as an advertsing scheme. Give it a few years and you may have a remake with Lindsay Lohan. Nah...there's other, more popular classic Disney movies that they can remake with her. This one doesnt even have Jodie Foster or Hayley Mills in it, so it doesn't qualify.

There's really not much else to say about this movie, but there is one thing I want to mention. Is there a more likeable character anywhere in all of filmdom than the one played over and over by Dean Jones? Seriously. How can you not like this guy? I couldn't tell you if he is a really good actor because the only thing I have seen him do other than this character is the evil vet in Beethoven, but what he does, he does well. I have seen numerous other Dean Jones movies. They usually involve animals and a young girl. And you can't bring up Herbie cause that car eventually went bananas and I am counting it as a monkey. Just cause I can. But anyways, this Dean jones fellow has good comedic timing and a genuine, sincere, gentle way about him. You can't help but root for him cause he is such a nice guy, and not in a nauseating kind of way. Check some of his stuff out, but go for Herbie first, or the outer space cat one. And I don't want any nasty letters from the Fred MacMurray fan club either. You can save it.

No comments: